Jollof Hackathon, DC: July 2nd, 2017.
Let’s face it. Nigerians can’t cook Jollof!
A typical statement you are likely to hear from a Ghanaian or Cameroonian, and it will definitely get you roasted. Especially after the diplomatic fiasco when CNN Anchor asked which country makes the best jollof rice, the Nigerian Minister of Information and Culture, Lai Muhammed said [Video] “I want to say probably Senegal”
At I/O Spaces, we believe we can get to the bottom of this International Culinary Debate using technology. So in collaboration with Afropolitan Insights, we want to find which country cooks the best Jollof during a Live Jollof Hackathon at the Jollof Festival, DC July 2nd in Dupont Circle.
Among the judges is Chef Francis Otoo, Gigi Ness Founder & CEO of African Cuisine Inc and Maame Boakye, Cofounder of Dine Diaspora: a DC-based culinary events and lifestyle company.
What is a Jollof Hackathon?
The Jollof Hackathon will bring together best-nominated chefs and cooks in a live cooking competition over a 90-minute prep and cook time. (The Hackathon) is a great way to promote Jollof cuisine from your town, city or country of origin.
This year we are hacking/cooking the best Jollof Rice in the DC area.
This event is for the best diaspora chefs, cooks, who want to defend their countries Jollof Reputation.
The Jollof Festival, DC
Kick back and experience an amazing #JollofFestival, with food, drinks, music, and good times in beautiful company. Help us determine who makes the best Jollof dish in DC! Your vote will determine the winner of the Jollof Wars! Learn more.
HOW IT WILL WORK:
First Stage (Nominations)
Submit your nominee’s information alongside their country.
Second Stage (Public Voting)
After the nominations close, we will announce the list and will start a public vote on who they want to see represent their country. Only the top two of each country will be selected.
Third Stage (Judge Decides)
The finalists will bring their already cooked dishes, present the best jollof rice dish their country of origin has to offer for judges to vote for during the event. Share and follow the fun and experience online with the hashtag #JollofFestival.
Finalists will be judged on presentation, taste, and originality by the judges.
- June 10th -Nominations Opens
- June 27th – Deadline to submit nominations & Public voting starts
- June 29th -Public voting deadline & Finalists Announced
- July 2nd -Jollof Festival DC where the finalists will present their dishes during the Jollof Hackathon Live!
WINNER GRAND PRIZE:
- Trophy & Bragging Rights
- $1000 in coworking services from I/O Spaces
- Sponsored Prizes
- *Chef Offered Position at Jollof Caviar, an upscale African Fusion Restaurant Opening in DC 2019
- You can bring already cooked dishes.
- You will share what ingredients you used.
- You will bring the already prepared dish to the hackathon presentation.
- Only voted finalists can participate. No replacements or substitutions.
- The finalists will get to attend Jollof Festival for free.
THANK YOU TO OUR PARTNERS!